Biography: Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al-‘Uthaymeen
Ashraf Ibn ‘Abdil-Maqsood
Source: From his checking of the Shaykh’s book “Sharh Lum’at-il-‘Itiqaad” (pg. 13-15) [Daar Al-Istiqaamah Printing]
He is Abu ‘Abdillaah Muhammad Ibn Saalih Ibn Muhammad Ibn ‘Uthaymeen Al-Wuhaibee At-Tameemee
His Place Of Birth:
He was born in the town of ‘Unayzah on the 27th day of the blessed month of Ramadaan in 1347H.
His Early Life:
He recited the noble Qur’aan to his maternal grandfather, ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Sulaimaan Aali Daamigh (Rahimahu ‘Llah) and memorized it. Then he directed his attention towards seeking knowledge and so he learned writing, arithmetic and some other subjects.
Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan As-Sa’adee (Rahimahu ‘Llah) used to place two of the students of knowledge that studied with him, in charge of teaching the young students. The first of them was Shaikh ‘Alee As-Saalihee and the second was Shaikh Muhammad Ibn ‘Abd-il-‘Azeez Al-Mutawwa’ (Rahimahu ‘Llah), under whom he (Ibn Al-‘Uthaimeen) studied the abridged version of Al-‘Aqeedat-ul-Waasitiyyah (of Ibn Taimiyyah) written by Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan As-Sa’adee, Minhaaj-us-Saalikeen fee Al-Fiqh also of Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan, as well as Al-Ajroomiyyah and Al-Alfiyyah.
He also studied the laws of inheritance and Fiqh under Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn ‘Alee Ibn ‘Awdaan. Under Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan Ibn Naasir As-Sa’adee (Rahimahu ‘Llah) – who is considered to be his first teacher since he remained with him for a period of time – he studied the sciences of Tawheed, Tafseer, Hadeeth, Fiqh, Usool-ul-Fiqh, Faraa’id, Mustalah-ul-Hadeeth, An-Nahu and As-Sarf.
He also studied under the noble shaikh, ‘Abd-ul-‘Azeez Bin Baaz (Rahimahu ‘Llah), such that he came to be known as his second teacher. With him he began the study of Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree, some of the treatises of Shaikh-ul-Islaam Ibn Taimiyyah (Rahimahu ‘Llah) and some books of Fiqh.
His Precedence In Knowledge And His Work In The Field Of Da’wah:
In the year 1371H, he began to teach in the congregational mosque. When the educational institutes opened in Riyaadh, he signed up with them in 1372H and after two years, he graduated and was appointed as a teacher at the educational institute (ma’ahad al-‘Ilmee) in ‘Unayzah. In the meantime, he continued his studies affiliated with the College of Sharee’ah as well as his studies under Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan As-Sa’adee (Rahimahu ‘Llah). When Shaikh ‘Abd-ur-Rahmaan As-Sa’adee passed away, he was given the position of Imaam at the main congregational mosque of ‘Unayzah, along with the ability to teach in the central library of ‘Unayzah, in addition to teaching at the educational institute. He later moved onto teaching in the faculties of Sharee’ah and Usool-ud-Deen in the
Qaseem branch of the Imaam Muhammad Ibn Su’ood Islaamic University. In addition to this, he became a member of the Council of Senior Scholars of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Shaikh Ibn Al-‘Uthaymeen has a large and active role in the field of da’wah (calling) to Allaah and teaching the Muslims. Thus the people recognize him from the various beneficial classes and impressive sermons he gives on the day of Jumu’ah in the central masjid of ‘Unayzah in Qaseem. They know him from the lessons he teaches in Al-Masjid-ul-Haraam during the nights of ‘Itikaaf in the month of Ramadaan, every year. He is also known by the firmly composed fataawaa (rulings) he issues to the masses of Muslims from the east and the west during the joyous occasion of Hajj or in the journals and magazines, on the radio broadcast “Light upon the Path” (Noor ‘alaa Ad-Darb) and through the letters he exchanges with many students of knowledge and readers. Furthermore, he is known for the rulings he gives with complete and wholesome responses to the questions that are presented to him everyday.
His Books On The Subject Of ‘Aqeedah:
Shaikh Muhammad Saalih Al-‘Uthaymeen has a vast number of valuable books, from which the people gain benefit, on the subjects of ‘Aqeedah, Fiqh and its principles, admonition, advice and Da’wah, and a large portion of which are taught by the ministry of education of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. We will mention here, the books that are related to ‘Aqeedah:
1. Fath Rabb-il-Barriyyah Bi-Talkhees-il-Hamawiyyah: This is his first book that was ever printed. He completed it on the 8th of Dhul-Qi’adah 1380H. It is printed within a collection of essays on ‘Aqeedah by Maktabat-ul-Ma’aarif of Riyaad.
2. Nubadh fee Al-‘Aqeedat-il-Islaamiyyah (A Brief article on the Islaamic Creed): In this book, the Shaikh explains the six pillars of Eemaan. It was assigned to the third year of secondary school in the educational institutes for the subject of Tawheed. It was printed in the collection mentioned previously of Maktabat-ul-Ma’aarif of Riyaad.
3. Al-Qawaa’id-ul-Muthlaa fee Sifaatillaahi wa Asmaa’ih-il-Husnaa (Ideal Principles concerning Allaah’s Attributes and His Beautiful Names): It is one of the most magnificent works that Shaikh Al-‘Uthaymeen has written. We have provided a checking for it, as well as a commentary on the chains of narration, and it has been printed, all praise due to Allaah.
4. Sharh Lum’at-ul-‘Itiqaad Al-Haadee Ilaa Sabeel-ir-Rashaad Li-Ibn Qudaamah (An Explanation of “Sufficiency in Creed” – A Guide to the Straight Path – of Ibn Qudaamah): It is this present book, and it was assigned to the first year of the secondary school level of the educational institutes for the subject of Tawheed.
5. ‘Aqeedah Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah (The Creed of Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah): He mentions in it a summarized yet comprehensive account of the Creed of Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah. The Islamic University of Madeenah printed it.
6. Sharh Al-‘Aqeedat-ul-Waasitiyyah Li-Ibn Taimiyyah (An Explanation of the Book “Al-‘Aqeedat-ul-Waasitiyyah” of Ibn Taimiyyah): It was assigned to the second year of the secondary school level of the educational institutes for the subject of Tawheed. It is printed and in wide circulation.
7. Tafseer Ayat-ul-Kursee (An Explanation of Ayat-ul-Kursee): This tafseer consists of a magnificent topic on the Names and Attributes of Allaah discussed by the Shaikh. It is printed and in wide circulation. In addition to this, there are all the fataawaa of the Shaikh regarding ‘Aqeedah which have been printed many times over and included in his books on Fataawaa in magazines and in journals.
Translator’s Note: Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Saalih Al-‘Uthaymeen passed away on Wednesday, the 15th of Shawaal 1421H (January 10, 2001), when he was 74 years of age. May Allaah have mercy on him.