Questions to the Shuyookh of the Deobandis.
1. Do you believe that Allah, the Most High, ascended His Throne, in a manner that befits His Majesty, and that He is separate and distinct from His creation ?
2. Do you reject the aqeedah of Wahdatul Wujood (Unity of Existence)?
3. Do you reject the meaning of Istiwaa to be “isteela (conquering), qahr (dominance), and ghalaba (victory))
If your answer to one or more of the question is “no”, please comment on the following statements of the Salaf.
1. Al-Qurtobee (d.671) said, “and not a single person from the righteous salaf rejected that His Istawaa upon His Throne was literal, and He specified the Throne because it is from the greatest of His creation. And they were ignorant of the kayfiyyah of His Istawaa…and Imaam Maalik said, ‘al-Istawaa is known’ meaning in the language, ‘and the nature is not know known, and to ask about (how) is a bid’ah'”
[‘al-Jaami lil Ahkaam al-Qur’aan’ of al-Qurtobee under the verse ‘then He rose over His Throne’, see ‘Mukhtasar al-Uluw’ (pg. 286).]
2. Abu Haneefah (RH) said, when asked of his opinion of the one who says, ‘I do not know whether Allaah is above the heavens or on the earth.’ – “He has disbelieved, because Allaah says, “The Most Merciful rose above the Throne.” , and His Throne is above His seven heavens.’ He was then asked , ‘what if he said that Allaah is above His Throne but he does not know whether the Throne is in the heavens or on the earth?’ He said, ‘He has disbelieved, because He has denied that He is above the heavens, And whosoever denied that He is above the heavens has disbelieved.”
[‘al-Uluww’ of adh- Dhahabee, also ‘Sharh Aqueedah at-Tahaawiyyah’ of ibn Abee al-Izz al-Hanafee]
3. Imaam Ahmad was asked, ‘Allaah is above the seventh heaven, above His Throne, distinct from his creation, and His Power and Knowledge are in every place?’ And he replied, ‘yes, above the Throne and His Knowledge is in every place.’
‘Sharh Usul I’tiqaad Ahlus Sunnah’ of al-Laalikaaee (d.414, pp396+ – tahqeeq Ahmad Hamdaan)
If your answer to one or more of the question is “yes”, please comment on the following statements of the ulema of Deoband.
In Irshaadul- Mulook (English translation page 11) Rasheed Ahmed Gangohi writes to Imdadullah Muhajir Makki : “In reality I am nothing. It is only your shadow – only Your existence. What am I? I am nothing. Only He is. You and me are Shirk upon shirk “