Autobiography: Shaykh Saleem Al Hilaalee
Source: A one-page document he gave to SSNA
(translation contains some additional info)
Place and Date of Birth:
He was born in Al-Khaleel (Hebron), Palestine in 1377H (1957 CE)
Level of Education:
Post-Graduate Studies in the subject of “Prophetic Hadeeth.”
He accompanied Shaikh Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah) – the Authority of Hadeeth of our time and the Reviver of Islaam in this century – and served as a student under him for the length of one quarter of a century (25 years).
He met and studied with many of the people of knowledge in India, Pakistan and the Hijaaz, who certified him with ijaazahs (religious approvals) to teach and narrate from them. Such scholars include Shaikh Badee’ Ar-Raashidee (the Muhaddith of Sind), Shaikh Muhibb-ud-Deen Ar-Raashidee, Shaikh ‘Abd-ul-Ghafaar Hasan, Shaikh Muhammad ‘Abdah Al-Falaah, Shaikh ‘Ataa-ulaah Haneef (the Muhaddith of Punjab) and Shaikh Hammaad Al-Ansaaree (the Muhaddith of Madeenah).
His Role in Daw’ah:
The Shaikh has an active role in calling to the Methodology of the Salaf. He is probably one of the most famous of the Salafee Shaikhs in the west due to his constant visiting and attending of Islamic conferences, seminars and programs in England and the United States. He also teaches and gives lectures in Jordan, thus he has produced many tapes in both Arabic and English (translated).
He has authored numerous books of which over a hundred have been printed. These include:
2. Mawsoo’at-ul-Manaahee ash-Shara’iyyah fee Saheeh As-Sunnat-in-Nabawiyyah (4 volumes)
3. Kifaayat-ul-Hafadha Sharh Muqaddimat-ul-Mooqidhah [An Explanation of a book on the Terminology of Hadeeth]
4. Limaadha Akhtartu al-Manhaj as-Salafee [Why I chose the Salafee Manhaj]
5. Basaa’ir Dhiwee Sharaf [A Book explaining some principles of the Salafi Manhaj]
6. Mu’alifaat Sa’eed Hawaa [A critical analysis on the books of Sa’eed Hawaa]
7. Al-Jamaa’aat al-islaamiyyah [A Book about Islamic groups] [The Shaikh wrote this tremendous book at the young age of twenty-five.]
8. Al-Qaabidoon ‘alaal-Jamr [Adherents of the Sunnah – Those who hold onto hot coals]
9. Madaarij al-‘Uboodiyyah [The Levels of Servitude]
10. Toobaa Lil-Ghurabaa [A collection and verification of the ahaadeeth on the Strangers]
11. As-Sabr [Patience]
12. Maqaami’ ash-Shaytaan [Ways of Preventing the Devil]
13. Halaawat-ul-Eemaan [The Sweetness of Faith]
14. Qisat Ka’ab Ibn Maalik [Benfits derived form the hadeeth of Ka’ab Ibn Maalik]
15. Al-Qawl-ul-Mubeen fee Jamaa’at-ul-Muslimeen [Decisive Word on the Muslim Jamaa’ah]
16. Ar-Riyaa [Dispraise of doing deeds to be seen]
17. Al-Hayaa [Modesty in the Qur’aan and Sunnah]
18. Makaarim al-Akhlaaq [Righteous Characteristics]
Apart from these many works he has authored, the Shaikh has also checked, verified and abridged numerous books from the scholars of the past, such as:
2. Al-‘Itisaam of As-Shaatibee (2 volumes)
3. Blind Following of the Madh-habs of Al-Ma’soomee
4. Al-Adhkaar of An-Nawawee (2 volumes)
5. ‘Uddat-us-Saabireen of Ibn Al-Qayyim
6. Jaami’-ul-‘Uloom wal-Hikam of Ibn Rajab (with abridgement)
He has also written many articles and research documents on issues of Methodology and Creed, which have appeared in many Islamic magazines and periodicals.
He was one of the founders of the Salafee magazine Al-Asaalah, and currently serves as its Chief Editor.
He was a founder and is now a directive member of Markaz Al-Imaam Al-Albaanee in Jordan, which produces works of knowledge and holds programs and seminars.
He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Salafi Society of North America.