The Just Ruler
Imam Al-Nawawi’s Riyad-us-Saliheen
Allah, the Exalted, says:
“Verily, Allah enjoins Al-`Adl (justice) and Al-Ihsan (performing duties in a perfect manner).” (16:90)
“And be equitable. Verily! Allah loves those who are the equitable.” (49:9)
659. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “Seven are (the persons) whom Allah will give protection with His Shade* on the Day when there will be no shade except His Shade (i.e., on the Day of Resurrection), and they are: A just ruler; a youth who grew up with the worship of Allah; a person whose heart is attached to the mosque; two persons who love and meet each other and depart from each other for the sake of Allah; a man whom a beautiful and high ranking woman seduces (for illicit relation), but he (rejects this offer by saying): `I fear Allah’; a person who gives a charity and conceals it (to such an extent) that the left hand might not know what the right has given; and a person who remembers Allah in solitude and his eyes well up.”
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
* The Shade of Allah to which this Hadith refers to is the shade of His Throne.
660. `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`as (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “The just will be seated upon pulpits of light.” Those who are fair with regards to their judgement and their family and those who are under them.”
661. `Auf bin Malik (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “The best of your rulers are those whom you love and who love you, and those who supplicate Allah in your favour and you supplicate Allah in their favour. The worst of your rulers are those whom you hate and who hate you; and whom you curse and who curse you.” It was asked (by those who were present): “Should not we oppose them?” He said, “No, as long as they establish Salat; as long as they establish Salat in your midst.”
662. `Iyad bin Himar (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “The people of Jannah will be of three kinds: A just successful ruler, a man who shows mercy to his relatives, and a pious believer who has a large family and refrains from begging.”